About HostasDirect™, Inc. - an online plant nursery
Started in 2005. We are incorporated in Minnesota.
You can read testimonials from current customers here. The customer of each order we ship receives a request for a review so we can get instant feedback from customers and learn how we can improve.
Why we are unique
You can save big money on our plant and shipping costs.
We facilitate customers to grow their own starter plants instead of paying someone extra to grow them! Growing our plants is easy.
We provide plants from the same vendors that garden centers purchase from. Garden centers pot up, grow for a short time and then resell at much higher prices than we offer our starter plants.
We use much less plastic in our growing and shipping operation than most companies.
Our growing and shipping operation and delivery
We offer possibly the lowest shipping costs in the industry.
We offer FREE SHIPPING on $125.00+ orders!
Our growing and shipping operation is in a high-tech, 35,000 square feet greenhouse in Waseca, Minnesota (1hour 20 minutes south of St. Paul, MN where a USPS package and mail processing center is located.) The Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport is located close to St. Paul which assures fast deliveries and fresh plant deliveries nationwide.
Most packages arrive via USPS 1 to 3 days depending on where you live and include Saturday deliveries. See estimated delivery time if your order is shipped Priority Mail. We also ship some plants First Class Mail. Our Waseca, Minnesota zip code is 56093.
Our plants are selected by horticulturalists, experts and veteran gardeners. They carefully select the best plant varieties from the best plant growers. We only deal with experienced, reputable suppliers that also virus index their plants and grow them pesticide and neonicotinoid-free so they are bee-friendly.
We guarantee our plants for 30 days!
You have the opportunity to earn free plants through our Loyalty program
We accept pre-orders online starting in about November and ship (weather dependent) from late March until mid-October. View our ordering information page to learn more.
Our Loyalty programs allow customers to earn points for purchases and improving our website with product reviews, ratings, etc.
Our staff is very ethical, honest, hardworking, deep;y care about the environment and are concerned with meeting customers needs.
- Tom Carlson (founder and owner) and most of the staff are proudly certifiable "hosta and plant freaks."
- Joseph Husby (Sr. Vice President) is a highly educated, experienced and talented computer hardware and software, website and technology expert with a great mind for business and efficiency.
We have many other talented and hardworking staff (that are camera and publicity-shy) who are excited to provide you with the best quality plants and outstanding customer service!
Our customer base
We have thousands of loyal customers in 49 states
Over 500,000 visitors come to our website from over 158 countries.
Thousands of subscribers receive our e-mail newsletter (see past email newsletters). Signup to receive 100 Loyalty Points (a $5 value) off your first order!
Out blog is very popular and well read.
IDeal Garden Markers
IDeal Garden Markers is our other business that offers a variety of uniquely designed, interchangeable stakes, nameplates, engravings, labels, and paint pens. The IDeal Garden Marker is owner Tom Carlson's latest invention, a new, plant identification stake and nameplate combination. This product was designed by HostasDirect, Inc. owner, Tom Carlson (owner of 4 patents in the printing industry and 2 top mechanical engineers) after input from 1,300 gardeners that responded to our 11-page survey.
On our site, you can create your own configuration (stake and nameplate size, color, height etc) and design your own attractive weather and sun-resistant custom engravings and sun-resistant labels. You can also order sun-resistant paint pens in a variety of colors and paint remover solvent.
- Deal honestly with customers and suppliers.
- Provide high-quality, disease-free affordable plants.
- Provide up-to-date plant and gardening information.
- Provide the largest and most comprehensive hosta and coral bell database and search engines.
- Offer practical and fun hosta, coral bell, foamy bell and other plant related products.
- Help reduce plant diseases through top-quality plants, information, and education.
- Help create beautiful gardens that add enjoyment to life and increase property value.
- Make people happy and have fun!
- Provide nutritious, neonicotinoid and organophosphate free food to bees, butterflies, and all living things.
- Inform the public on environmental and safety issues they can easily help with.
- Employ as many people as we can, including those with disabilities, with good paying jobs.
- Provide the best plant identification products and services at affordable prices.
Guarantee for 30 Days and Refund Policy
It is important to please follow our growing instructions that come with each order.
- We guarantee our plants for 30 days and to be in good condition, disease-free and properly named and labeled when you receive them.
- All claims regarding shortages, damaged plants, etc. must be made within 30 days of receipt of shipment. We will accept returns and provide a refund if packaged in the original shipping container with original labels and shipped back to us within 30 days of your receipt of the package.
- We are not responsible for any losses after 30 days including due to overwintering, lack of water, poor soil, poor growing location selection, pests, over-fertilizing, not covering your plants per our instructions in the fall the first year fall, or other causes beyond our control. Since 2005 our plants have performed great in our customer's gardens but with the newer extremes in weather, variation in how gardeners care for their plants, it is difficult to guarantee them past 30 days.
- Prices and inventory are subject to change. All prices are final.